M.S., Digital Media, May 2012
Concentration in digital media with courses in data visualization, information design, audience and metrics, photography, video, media business studies and consumer reporting. Wrote forthcoming master’s thesis on the history of The Philadelphia Inquirer’s suburban strategies in light of the paper’s recent financial woes. Awarded honors status in multiple courses.
B.A., Journalism, B.A., Southern Studies, May 2011
Graduated summa cum laude with a 3.94 GPA. Wrote honors thesis on coverage of the 1961 lunch counter sit-ins in the Atlanta press. Awarded Outstanding Senior Journalism Major. Served on student government. Edited University newspaper. Founded and planned annual 5K run around campus, raising roughly $3,500 to benefit children affected by HIV/AIDS.
University of Oxford
Study Abroad, Oxford Overseas Study Course, St. Peter’s College, 2009
Finished course with all alphas, specializing in Cold War history and media propaganda. Sat as news editor for University newspaper.
Savannah Morning News/SavannahNow.com
Savannah, Ga. Director of Digital Media, 2012-current.
Oversee online content production and user experience for savannahnow.com. Develop data and interactive packages. Coordinate and grow social media outreach. Manage team of producers. Collaborate with traditional reporters on tailoring their stories for the web.
Macon, Ga. On-call reporter, 2010-2011. News intern, 2009.
Reported full-time two summers for Georgia’s third largest daily broadsheet. Filled in on police, city hall, local education and state politics beats under daily deadline. Worked as on-call cops and general assignment reporter while taking classes.
The Bronx Ink/BronxInk.org
Bronx, NY. Beat reporter, Fall 2011
Covered Norwood and Kingsbridge sections of the Bronx. Attended and reported from Community Board meetings. Redeveloped publication’s online presence. Put together special interactive package on unemployment in the Bronx.
The Oxford Student/OxfordStudent.com
Oxford, U.K. News Editor, Spring 2010. Web developer, Spring 2010.
Produced entire 12-page news section of Oxford University’s weekly student newspaper. Managed team of 14 reporters and covered more than 40 stories individually. Redesigned newspaper’s website and oversaw online content.
Mercer University. Web developer, 2010. Online editor, 2011. Copy editor, 2008.
Founded, developed and launched MercerCluster.com, the digital edition of The Cluster and winner of the 2011 Best College Newspaper Site award for the state of Georgia. Grew Facebook ‘likes’ from around 30 to more than 900 in less than a month with integrated social media campaign.
Oxford, U.K. Online Editor, Spring 2010-present
Created website and online publishing system for Oxford’s current affairs magazine. Manage online content and correspond via email with print editors.
College Hill Alliance/Knight Foundation
Macon, Ga. “The Basics” Committee Chair, 2008-2009.
Chaired public committee on urban revitalization. Produced online student-guide to the City of Macon for the Knight Foundation, located at collegetownmacon.com.
The Waycross Journal-Herald
Waycross, Ga. Intern news reporter, 2007.
Made morning cop calls. Wrote daily news stories.
- Data: Comfortable scraping, refining, analyzing and visualizing data sets for journalistic purposes (Google Refine, Fusions Tables, Charts API, Excel, Tilemill, QGis, CartoDB, Leaflet, Tableau, Raphael.js).
- Community Engagement: Experience integrating social media campaigns into websites to grow traffic, strengthen brands and build audience engagement.
- Audience/Analytics: Knowledge of SEO strategies, Google AdWords, content optimization.
- Multimedia: Proficient in digital video, photo and audio recording and editing (Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack).
- Design: Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Animate Edge.
- News Writing: Experience working in traditional and nontraditional newsrooms under both daily deadlines and for enterprise and investigative projects. Knowledge of AP Style.
Data-driven stories, collaborative reporting, local-level coverage, Python/Django development, responsive design, analyzing audience and metrics, news applications, social media storytelling.
- Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholar, 2008.
- Valerie B. Edmonds Student Research Award, 2010.
- Mercer Service Scholar, 2007-2011.
- Henry Zuberano Scholarship-Leadership Award.
- Outstanding Senior Journalism Major, 2011.
- Best College Newspaper Website, Georgia College Press Association, 2011.
- Susan E. McGregor, Assistant Professor, Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism; Former Senior Programmer for News Graphics, The Wall Street Journal online, (212) 854-9523, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sherrie Marshall, Executive Editor, The Telegraph (Macon, Ga.), (478) 744-4340, email@example.com.
- Tom Rowley, Trainee Journalist, The Daily Telegraph (London, U.K.), +44 07545 138950, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- David A. Davis, Associate Professor of English, Mercer University, (478) 301-2358, email@example.com.