Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism
M.S., Digital Media, May 2012.
Concentration in digital media with courses in data visualization, information design, audience and metrics, photography, video, media business studies and consumer reporting. Awarded honors status in multiple courses. Wrote forthcoming master’s thesis on the history of The Philadelphia Inquirer’s suburban strategies in light of the paper’s recent financial woes.
B.A., Journalism, B.A., Southern Studies, May 2011
Graduated summa cum laude with a 3.94 GPA. Wrote honors thesis on coverage of the 1961 lunch counter sit-ins in the Atlanta press. Awarded Outstanding Senior Journalism Major. Served on student government. Edited University newspaper. Founded and planned annual 5K run around campus, raising roughly $3,500 to benefit children affected by HIV/AIDS.
University of Oxford
Study Abroad, Oxford Overseas Study Course, St. Peter’s College, 2009
Finished course with all alphas, specializing in Cold War history and media propaganda. Sat as news editor for University newspaper.
New York, NY. Co-founder, Fev. 2014-current.
Building a minimum viable product to determine market viability for a peer-to-peer item lending platform that incentivizes and rewards users for listing and lending unwanted or infrequently used household goods, appliances, tools and equipment to trusted, verified members of their community.
Savannah Morning News/SavannahNow.com
Savannah, Ga. Digital Media Manager, Aug. 2012-Nov. 2013.
Oversee online content production and user experience for savannahnow.com. Develop data and interactive packages. Coordinate and grow social media outreach. Manage team of producers. Collaborate with traditional reporters on tailoring their stories for the web.
Macon, Ga. On-call reporter, May 2010- Nov. 2011. News intern, May 2009.
Reported full-time two summers for Georgia’s third largest daily broadsheet. Filled in on police, city hall, local education and state politics beats under daily deadline. Worked as on-call cops and general assignment reporter while taking classes.
Bronx, NY. Beat reporter, Fall 2011
Covered Norwood and Kingsbridge sections of the Bronx. Attended and reported from Community Board meetings. Redeveloped publication’s online presence. Put together special interactive package on unemployment in the Bronx.
The Oxford Student/OxfordStudent.com
Oxford, U.K. News Editor, Spring 2010. Web developer, Spring 2010.
Produced entire 12-page news section of Oxford University’s weekly student newspaper. Managed team of 14 reporters and covered more than 40 stories individually. Redesigned newspaper’s website and oversaw online content.
Mercer University. Web developer, 2010. Online editor, 2011. Copy editor, 2008.
Founded, developed and launched MercerCluster.com, the digital edition of The Cluster and winner of the 2011 Best College Newspaper Site award for the state of Georgia. Grew Facebook ‘likes’ from around 30 to more than 900 in less than a month with integrated social media campaign.
Oxford, U.K. Online Editor, Spring 2010-present
Created website and online publishing system for Oxford’s current affairs magazine. Manage online content and correspond via email with print editors.
College Hill Alliance/Knight Foundation
Macon, Ga. “The Basics” Committee Chair, 2008-2009.
Chaired public committee on urban revitalization. Produced online student-guide to the City of Macon for the Knight Foundation, located at collegetownmacon.com.
The Waycross Journal-Herald
Waycross, Ga. Intern news reporter, 2007.
Made morning cop calls. Wrote daily news stories.
- Data: Comfortable scraping, refining, analyzing and visualizing data sets for journalistic purposes (Google Refine, Fusions Tables, Charts API, Excel, Tilemill, QGis, CartoDB, Leaflet, Tableau, Raphael.js, Caspio).
- Analytics: Knowledge of SEO strategies, Google AdWords, content optimization, social media analytics. Experience using real-time web analytics tools (Chartbeat) and traffic dashboards (Omniture, Google Analytics, Flurry).
- Project Management: Experience overseeing and collaborating on large-scale digital initiatives from start to finish, including researching, brainstorming, team-building, prototyping, developing, designing, testing, launching and marketing new and existing cross-platform digital products.
- Social Media Marketing: Proficient in content marketing and audience building on social platforms, including Instagram, Vine, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Google Plus. Experience running social media contests and promotions via third-party platforms (UPickEm, Tabsite, Statigr.am.).
- Multimedia: Proficient in digital video, photo and audio recording and editing (Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack).
- Design: Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Muse and Animate Edge.
- News Writing: Experience working in traditional and nontraditional newsrooms under both daily deadlines and for enterprise and investigative projects. Knowledge of AP Style.
- Management: Experience managing employees in a corporate environment, both in direct and indirect supervision.
Data-driven stories, collaborative reporting, local-level coverage, Python/Django development, responsive design, analyzing audience and metrics, news applications, social media storytelling.
- MJ Bear Fellowship Honorable Mention, Online News Association, 2013.
- Best Online News Project, Georgia Press Association, 2013.
- Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholar, 2008.
- Valerie B. Edmonds Student Research Award, 2010.
- Mercer Service Scholar, 2007-2011.
- Henry Zuberano Scholarship-Leadership Award.
- Outstanding Senior Journalism Major, 2011.
- Best College Newspaper Website, Georgia College Press Association, 2011.
- Susan E. McGregor, Assistant Professor, Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism; Former Senior Programmer for News Graphics, The Wall Street Journal online, (212) 854-9523, email@example.com.
- Sherrie Marshall, Executive Editor, The Telegraph (Macon, Ga.), (478) 744-4340, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tom Rowley, Trainee Journalist, The Daily Telegraph (London, U.K.), +44 07545 138950, email@example.com.